Welcome to the Squirrels!
Welcome to the Squirrels Room our squirrels are the preschool children, the squirrels are aged between three years to five years, the squirrels room is a large open planned room with four areas, which is divided in to nine play areas, the areas are set out inline with the early years foundation stages, this includes make and do, construction, small world, role play, finding out (science and investigating,) computer (IT,) writing, playdough and texture play. The lay out of the rooms enables the children to have free flow during plan-do-review. The squirrels have access to their own toliet facilities to encourage independence for when they go to school.
Squirrels Daily Routine:
* Self registration: The children recognise their names and put them on the register board
* Brain Gym: Before each session we do an activity called brain gym, this enables the children to get both sides of the brain working we do this to music.
* Greeting time: Greeting time we sing a welcome song where the children can interact with there peers and teachers, during this time we also have a message board for the children to discuss what is happening during the session, this is done at the beginning of each session.
* Small group time: During small group time your child's key-worker will plan activities to each child's individual needs and next steps in line with the early years foundation stages this is then uploaded to your child's learning journal.
* Plan-Do-Review: plan-do-review is when the children plan where they would like to play, Planning time is when the children talk about where they are going to play during doing time, the children have pictures, props of the areas, Doing time is when the children are playing in their chosen areas and have free play, Review time is when the children reflect on what they have been playing with during free play (Do).
* Snack Bar: In the squirrels room we have a snack bar, the children help prepare the snack and can independently serve themselves during free play
* Outside time: Outside time is where your child will go into the garden or out in the community to the park, Southsea seafront, Baffins pond.
* Large group time: Large group time is where all the children are together and do a variety of activities such as parachute games, singing, story
Your child will have their own key worker, your child's key worker will plan activities for small group time, your child's key worker will do regular assessments and plan for each individual child's needs and steps in line with the early years foundation stages, this is uploaded to your child's learning journal in parent zone.
Parent zone is a online system which we use for your child's learning journals we will upload photos of your child doing activities and your child's artwork, you will have your own log in that is password protected to each individual child. We also use parent zone to upload what your child has been doing at Little Learners this will include daily activities, food, sleep and nappies.
Within our squirrels room we can have up to 30 children with three to four practitioners.